Donations

 

How do I donate? 

You can just klick this Link here:

Klick me


Or klick/scan this QR-Code:






What are the donations for?

In short, we will test the people of the village Seko and neighbouring villages in Togo. Then we will try to support Diabetics that we find.

I am Diabetic type 1, and I know how hard life is with diabetes, even IF you can pay for all the medicine and peripherie.

While I planned my trip to Togo, the dangers of doing it as a diabetic became increasingly evident to me. I will pass countries where temperatures are constantly too high for my insulin to survive. I dont know how easy access to new insulin is, and I dont know how expensive it will be. Surely, when you have the money, you can always get insulin somehow, somewhere. Maybe they will fly it in, or maybe you need to go to a bigger town. But in this regard, money is king. 💸👑

Initially, the idea was to rais money for the school in Seko but I started to wonder, how people in Togo deal with insulin, with diabetes at all, and I started researching. The shocking conclusion was that most diabetics in Togo do not get treatment at all. Mandatory health insurance only exists for government employees, and god knows if it covers chronic diseases like diabetes type 1.  

- You need to know that when diabetes is treated well, a diabetic type 1 can have a normal life. As far as I know, the long-term effects of diabetes will not greatly affect your life. You might get numb feet when you are old or lose a little of your eyesight, but that (already bad enough as it is) is it. Thank god, my medical insurance in Germany has me covered. 

But when diabetes is not treated well. The effects are shocking and gruelsome. You can fall in a coma, loose bodyparts, you will definitely go blind and even small wounds like a cut will never heal. They will always be bloody and open. It is a slow and horrible death that spans over your life. Unimaginable to think, I am sitting here, eating and drinking what I want while people in Togo (and anywhere in the world) suffer this fate.

The capital city Lomé is probably the best place to be living as a diabetic due to the medical access and the ability to work for a government body (and thus receive healthcare). People who live rural like the people in Seko have no chance for a cure. They are forgotten and left on their own in regard to diabetes. 

People do not even know if they have diabetes or not. 


This is where I start

My fundraiser will:


1. Utilize the money raised to perform tests on people willing to test themselves for diabetes. It's a fast and relatively inexpensive process. My hope is that every single test performed is negative. I dont want to find diabetics. I wish that every single person is healthy. These tests ideally will be extended to the neighbouring rural villages, too. 
The problems start when you find somebody who is diabetic. Worst case, diabetic type 1. This person will need a lifelong support to afford insulin and get a treatment. 


2. This is the next goal for my project. To use funds to support diabetics financially and educate them on their disease. To ensure that they dont suffer the horrible consequences of untreated diabetes.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3. Waves

The Introduction

9. Mauritania